Times have been tough on Cape Flats; gangs are getting more powerful by the day. The scary part of it all is the increase of drug dealers; they are becoming younger by the day! The current situation has a very negative effect on South Africa’s economy. We aim to deal with the notorious gangsterism and high youth unemployment problems in Heideveld from their root, the education-based poverty trap in the community. We partner with local primary and high schools to provide physical education and after-school sports programs to engage young students in school. We provide them academic support through our tutoring program to make sure they have the necessary individual assistance to do well in class.
This is not just a soccer club: it has expanded into a wider range of community activities including rope skipping, basketball, drama, touch rugby, boxing, tutoring, life skills, and school for drop-outs, mentorships and a way out of being trapped into the cycle of gangs and drugs.
This program is designed for mature volunteers and families to assist at the schools with day to day running from reading one-on-one in classrooms to assisting on the sports field. Volunteers can choose if they want to work full or half days focusing on classroom help, sport or both. Volunteer children can be involved in the primary school and interact with the local children while their parents help facilitate the programs.
Winter in South Africa
Please note that May through to September are our winter months and it can get quite chilly with an average temperature ranging from 5 degrees Celsius at night to 15 degrees Celsius during the day. So, please make sure to pack enough warm clothes if you plan your trip in that period.
Volunteers will assist in classrooms and/or on the sports field with the following programs:
Physical Education on the schools
We have coaches working on four different schools in the Heideveld community, namely Woodlands primary, ST Theresa Primary, Welcome Primary, and Vanguard Primary.
In tutor classes, we assess the learners reading ability to see if they understand what they are reading. Then we help them to improve in the areas where they are lacking. Ultimately, we highly encourage the practise of taking out books from the library.
From Mondays to Thursdays we have after school classes for children who need help with their homework. We assist them where needed and in doing so, we prevent them from lagging behind in class and improve their overall performance.
The sports offered are Soccer, Basketball, Rope skipping, Touch Rugby, Boxing, and Drama. We practise on various days and we strive to develop our players to the best of our ability.
Volunteers will be collected from the Airport on a Friday and taken to their accommodation. They will receive a welcome orientation either on the first or second day, depending on flight arrival time.
Saturday includes a walking tour of Cape Town city centre and the Sunday is at your own leisure to explore what the city has to offer.
Monday to Friday volunteers are collected from their accommodation and taken to the school. Our volunteer leaders on the program will help facilitate and set up the work, as well as orientation with the volunteers on site. Volunteers can decide if they would like to be involved in classroom assistance, sport, or both, and if they want to work full or half days. Either from 7:30 – 14:30 or 13:30 – 18:00 or 07:30 – 18:00. These times may vary.
During school holidays we run holiday and sports programmes with the children.
- Project starts: Every Friday
- Location: Cape Town
- Minimum Duration: 2 weeks (17 nights)
- Volunteer Requirements: CV/Résumé, Basic level of competency in English, Availability of position
- The school calendar for 2017 is as follows:
First Term: 09 January-11 January
31 March-18 April
Second Term: 30 June-24th July
Third Term: 29 September-09 October
Fourth Term: 06 December-08 December
2017 Public Holidays:
01 January 2017 New Year’s Day
20 March 2017 School holiday
21 March 2017 Human Rights Day
14 April 2017 Good Friday
17 April 2017 Family Day
27 April 2017 Freedom Day
28 April 2017 School holiday
01 May 2017 Workers’ Day
16 June 2017 Youth Day
09 August 2017 National Women’s Day
24 September 2017 Heritage Day
16 December 2017 Day of Reconciliation
25 December 2017 Christmas Day
26 December 2017 Day of Goodwill
Due to Christmas and New Years celebrations, projects are very limited, however volunteers may still use the accommodation and food.
- Accommodation is based in Cape Town city centre.
- We offer from 4-sleeper luxury dormitories to private family rooms.
- The accommodation is walking distance to many restaurants, shops, transport terminals, etc.
- WiFi is available on a shared basis to give volunteers opportunities to contact those at home.
- Volunteers are given the use of the laundry room and line when required.
- A welcome dinner is included on your first night of arrival.
- Due to the wide range of shops and restaurant in the area only breakfast is included.
- Volunteers will be met at Cape Town International airport and taken to the project.
- On project days the volunteers will be transported.
- The vehicles used are roadworthy and have all relevant licenses and liability insurance.
Supervision / Co-ordination
As the nature of the work varies we will place volunteers under the supervision of various staff members as explained in the itinerary. We will have one member of our team assigned as “team leader” to facilitate the smooth operation of the volunteers stay and provide guidance where necessary.
Emergency and Safety Information
- All our staff have the relevant licenses for driving with passengers.
- All staff are qualified in First Aid There will be a staff member in close proximity at ALL times.
- All volunteers are handed a safety guidelines card with the relevant contact numbers and emergency procedures printed on it.
- The nearest hospital is within 20 minutes drive of all locations.
- An emergency cellular phone with call time will be handed to one group member each day.
- Please note: Every precaution is taken to ensure your comfort and safety at all times.
- Airport pick up from CPT International
- Breakfast ONLY
- 24 hours support and supervision.
- Financial contributions to the projects
- Transport to and from the project on working days
- All beverages
- Lunch and Dinner
- Additional tours Flights, Visas and travel insurance
- Personal items such as sunscreen, bug-spray and ammentities